2019 - 6th World Championship of Beer Sommeliers
The sixth World Championship of Beer Sommeliers will take place on September 27, 2019 in Rimini, Italy. The number of participants travelling to compete in the WCBS will depend on each country's pre-determined rules for participation at the national competitions. In total, over 80 beer sommeliers from 18 countries are expected, including delegates from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Korea and Brazil.
World Championship sequence of events
The know-how of the participants is tested and evaluated in different rounds. In the pre-selection, solid theoretical knowledge about beer as well as sensory assessment skills in such areas as recognizing beer styles and flavors is expected. In the semi-final knockout round, successful competitors from earlier rounds then present a selected beer before judges and have to prevail in direct comparison against one another.
Those who qualify for the final round will battle before a top-tier jury. Each finalist has to use his/her presentation skills to persuade the experts that they have acquired adequate knowledge of all topics relating to the beer in question. The winner will be crowned the the new World Champion Beer Sommelier.
The jury is composed of prominent personalities from the beer sommelier scene and within the brewing industry:
- Dr. Christina Schönberger, Technical Sales Joh. Barth & Sohn
- Cilene Saorin, Doemens partner of beer sommelier training in southern america and on the iberian peninsula
- Petra Westphal, Exhibition Group Director, Messe München
- Stephan Hilbrandt, World Champion of Beer Sommeliers 2017
- Simonmathia Riva, World Champion of Beer Sommeliers 2015
- Dr. Wolfgang Stempfl, former CEO of the Doemens Academy and founder of beer sommelier training
- Fabio Nalini, Vice champion of beer sommeliers 2011
Without our loyal and visionary sponsors, organizing and presenting the World Championship of Beer Sommeliers would be impossible. The World Cup receives generous support from the following sponsors, who have dedicated themselves to beer culture and beer diversity. A big thank you: